So if you’ve been following me on twitter recently you’ll see I’ve been getting ready to launch a podcast: Lets Talk About Tests, Baby (title courtesy of Mark).
I’ve been a fan of podcasts for a while, gradually adding to my library (22 in total, 19 of those listened to as soon as the new eps are released, the others as and when I’m in the mood for them).
I had guessed there was a lot to juggle when making a podcast, but I figured most of it was around content and editing (and I imagine this is actually the case), but there’s so much admin to do beforehand that I hadn’t really thought about:
- A website: First port of call, really. Incidentally, I have an actual domain name courtesy of a friend, Mike, and so I will be getting the site on a custom domain at some point.
- Podcast hosting: Most places I know use libsyn, as it does all the xml and rss feeds for you, and doesn’t charge for downloads, which is nifty. It’s pretty cheap, too.
- Various accounts: email, twitter, iTunes, Soundcloud
- Logo: To get a podcast on iTunes you have to have a logo, so you need a logo for a podcast. Thankfully a wonderful friend, Katie, is making one for me, so I don’t have to worry about trying to be creative there 😛
- Intros, Outros, Stingers: I need some branding here. The words are easy, but the music is a different matter. Thankfully there is plenty of Creative Commons music and communities out there, offering music for free.
- Content: I’ve started GDocs of episode ideas, show notes, etc. I’ve got a prequel ep and two full eps planned out, plus ideas and titles for 6 more, so that’s not too worrying.
- Features: I’m hoping to be able to get a but/quirk/etc of the week going, so I need to start gathering them (submissions welcome!), recording them, and getting them into shows.
This is before I’ve even looked at editing and microphones. I’m going to do a brief recording on Tuesday to see what I can do with what I’ve got, and fingers crossed that should be good enough quality to put out there. I’ve done some editing before, but not with GarageBand, so I’ll be giving myself a crash course in that very soon.
This has been a unordered list of things I’ve realised I needed to do over the past two weeks or so. I’m feeling very nervous about putting speech to microphone and actually releasing this stuff into the world, but very excited as well. I only hope I live up to my own excitement and the tons of help I’ve got from my friends and colleagues.
You’ll be hearing from me very soon 😀 😀